Tuesday 1 March 2011

Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner

Let me first tell you guys that I am an avid eyeliner fan :). For me, my eye look isn't complete without my signature cat eye liner and Clinique's brush on liner in true black has been my saviour after many Mac's black track fluid line fails. The clinique gel liner provides a flawless and quick cat eye and sets in a deep, matte black awesomeness. Moreover, it doesn't need to be set with a black eye shadow and once dry it doesn't budge.I have had mine for about 8 months and despite of using it every single day, I still have a lot left and it hasn't dried up, unlike my mac one which shrivelled into a blob within a couple of months. The only drawback in my opinion is that it comes with a hefty price tag of £13.50 and the brush that it comes with is utter crap :(.

Anyhoo, I should get on with the actual review of the product mentioned in the title rather than singing praises for my favourite eyeliner :P. The product in question being ( drum roll please * )

Maybelline Eye studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner
01 intense black

single layer swatch


When I saw this product on boots' maybelline counter ( on offer for £ 5.99 at the moment )last week, my brain was filled with a buzz..I couldn't hold back my excitement..and only one thing came to my mind..     I  N-E-E-D   T-O  G-E-T  I-T  R-I-G-H-T   N-O-W !!

I had been eyeing this cult product since it was released in the USA last year and like the most of us makeup addicts in UK, I waited patiently for it to either make its appearance in UK or to get my mitts on it through a swap.
Well, long story short, I bought this last week and have been trying it out every single day to write a thorough review.

PACKAGING:
Taking pics of the box, that it came in, never even crossed my mind so take my word; it was cute :P. The actual packaging of the product being a glass container with an aluminium feel cap looks quite sturdy. It also comes with a short handled eyeliner brush.

PROS :
  • Cheap compared to the high end brands like mac or clinique
  • Long wearing formula as would be demonstrated through pictures down below :-)

    
    taken at 8:30 in the morning
                                                                                                                                                                                

Pic taken at 5:00 pm


Pic taken at 5:00 pm
   
              As you can see there is minimal fading after 6-7 hours of wear and the colour remained black instead of becoming a dull grey.
  • It didn't budge through out the day even if my eyes were a bit watery but I did set it with black eye shade so that could be one of the reason for it being long lasing.
  • The consistency of the eye liner is verrry creamy so it is easy to create the desired shape.
CONS :

  • Because of its such creamy consistency I found that  it took me a long time to create the wing at the end. It could not be a draw back for most of you but just personally I found the procedure a bit time consuming.
  • Although it says on the box that it is a gel based formula, I would politely disagree that it is more on the likes of a cream than a gel.
  • It took at least 10 minutes to dry partially and I had to set it with a black eye shadow to dry it fully and give a matte soft finish, thus adding an additional step to my morning routine.
  • Although true to colour, it did feather a bit on application but nothing that cannot be managed with a little black eye shadow :)
  • The brush although,soft and usable, is too think for me to create thinner line at the inner corner or wing the liner at the outer corner into a crisp line. I would probably use it for pin point concealing.

WILL I RECOMMEND ??  : I certainly would !!! It is a bargain for a drugstore branded gel eyeliner esp for some one on a budget and who is not finicky ( read obsessed with a crisp cat eye liner) about their eye liner. I didn't wear it on my waterline so I cannot comment for it being waterline safe or not.

AVAILABILITY: Boots or superdrug

I would love to hear your comments :)

       

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for such a comprehensive review. Well, I tried this eye liner and I quite liked it. You are right that it doesn't fade and gives a strong black, matte defining line to the eye. I tried a thin line on the lower water line of the eye and it stayed for pretty long too.
    The drying bit isn't a problem for me because the eye liner is the last thing I apply to my eye lid during eye makeup. So as long as one is not in the habit of rubbing their eyes immediately afterwards, it doesn't make a difference if it takes a couple of minutes to dry completely.
    In a nutshell, I think that this eye liner gives professional results at an affordable price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u so much for your feedback..glad u liked the liner.xx :)

    ReplyDelete